Exports - Agriculture
 
About
Aboriginal Art
Agriculture
Aquaculture & Fishing
Mining
Horticulture & Viticulture
Manufacturing
Links
 
WHEAT

Wheat is Australia’s largest grain product at 90%. The other 10% is made up of other industries such as Barley, oats, sorghum, lupins, rice, field peas, triticale, maize, peanuts, cottonseed and other oil seeds.

The Australian Wheat Board (AWB) is the sole supplier of quality Australian wheat to the world and exports South Australian and Eyre Peninsula wheat to Asia, Middle East, Africa, and Europe.

For more information contact:
Australian Wheat Board Ltd
Level 1, 129 Greenhill Road
UNLEY SA 5061
Phone: +61 8 8291 5333
Website: www.awb.com.au
 
BARLEY

Barley is the second largest and most valuable grain crop in Australia. The Australian Barley Board (ABB) is a South Australian based company and has established itself as one of the world’s leading exporters of barley and is now generating more than $900 million in revenue per year.
Barely grown in South Australia and on the Eyre Peninsula are exported to: China, Japan, Taiwan, South Africa, South America, United Arab Emirates and other Middle East countries. The main export destination of ABB barley is Saudi Arabia with more than 1 million tonnes of barley exported in 2002.

For more information contact:
Australian Barley Board
Head Office ‘Grain House’
GPO Box 1169 ADELAIDE SA 5000
Telephone +61 8 8211 7199
Fax +61 8 8231 1249
Email abb@abb.com.au
CANOLA

On Eyre Peninsula is it expected that for the 2003/04 season over 54,000 hectares of land would have grown canola, with an expected production of 72,000 tonnes. South Australia as a whole is expected to produce 167,600 tonnes, therefore Eyre Peninsula will be supplying 42% of the State’s canola production.

The oil content is good with Cummins at 44.01%, Port Lincoln 44.4%, Rudall 38.5% and Yeelanna 42.2%.

Pictured left is a canola crop from the website www.abc.net.au/rural
   
LIVESTOCK

Australia is the largest livestock exporting country in the world, exporting around:

  • 6.1 million SHEEP valued at $414 million
  • 1 million CATTLE valued at $613 million with the majority of cattle exported to Indonesia, Egypt and the Philippines
  • 135,000 GOATS valued at approximately $20 million
  • 98% of all live sheep exports and 27% of Australia’s live cattle exports travel to over 11 Middle East and North African countries

The pictures right and below are taken from the Australian Meat Safety website www.australianmeatsafety.com

 

For more information contact:
Meat and Livestock Australia Ltd
South Australian Office:
Wellington Executive Centre
2 Portrush Road Payneham SA 5070
Telephone: (08) 8365 0137
Facsimile: (08) 8365 0501
Website: www.mla.com.au

 
WOOL
Australia is the world’s largest wool producing country, accounting for about 30% of the world’s production.

Almost all of Australia’s wool is exported to countries such as China, Italy, Taiwan, Korea and France. The wool export demand is determined by economic cycles and world wide trends in clothing fashion.

The gross value of wool produced in 1999-2000 was $2.1 billion.

For more information contact:
Michell Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 1739
ADELAIDE SA 5001
Phone: (08) 8209 4400 or International +61 8 8209 4400
Fax: (08) 8209 4407 or International +61 8 8209 4407
Website: www.michell.com.au
Email: michell@michell.com.au